The Victorian Seniors Festival is an event to honour seniors in Victoria, held in October every year at various locations around the Melbourne CBD and around the state. This week-long festival includes various events, activities and entertainment for all seniors.
The Victorian Department of Health & Human Services organised the festival to encourage seniors to participate in and enjoy a wide range of activities, all generally free or low-cost.
Victorian Seniors Festival Week 2023, Dates & Program Schedule
City of Melbourne is proud to be supporting the Victorian Seniors Festival 2023. Take advantage of free public transport for all seniors card holders from 1 to 8 October across metropolitan and regional areas, and participate in a wide range of activities on offer throughout the week.
The festival starts on 1 October, which coincides with the International Day of the Older Person. This year’s festival theme is Learn, Love, Live, with plenty of opportunities to be part of the fun.
The Victorian Government, through the Seniors, Carers and Elder Abuse Reform branch in the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing, coordinates the Festival and works closely with all 79 local councils. The Festival also works with community and cultural organisations and commercial partners to coordinate and promote activities and events for senior Victorians in their local area.
This annual festival returns on 1 October 2023 and features:
- live and local events across the state, delivered by local councils, community groups and clubs
- eight days of free public transport for Victorian Seniors Card holders from 1 to 8 October 2023
- Return of flagship events held in Melbourne’s CBD and regional Victoria, including:
- Celebration Day at Federation Square on Sunday, 1 October, 1pm – 7pm
- This event will launch the festival with a 6-hour line-up of free entertainment and activities for older Victorians
- Town Hall Dances at Melbourne Town Hall on Monday, 2 October, from 12pm and Hawthorn Town Hall on Friday, 6 October, from 8pm
- ACMI Seniors Film Festival at the Australian Centre of the Moving Image from 2 – 8 October
- Country Tour delivering live entertainment across regional towns in October
- Aged Care Tour, taking the festival’s magic, music and fun to aged care residents across Victoria throughout September and October.
Free and low-cost events and activities will be presented across Victoria, including concerts, dances, theatre shows, celebratory morning teas, tours, a host of indoor and outdoor recreation activities.
Popular musicians and bands also come here to perform and entertain guests. Show off your younger side and dance to some of yesteryear’s great tunes, participate in many activities and participate in various workshops held during the festival, or why not catch one of the classic films. You can enjoy many interactive activities; such as dancing, aerobics, strength training and tai chi.
The Festival also includes the annual Victorian Senior of the Year Awards. These awards recognise and celebrate the talents, achievements and contributions of older Victorians to their community. Running for over 20 years, these Awards acknowledge older Victorians who volunteer to assist, support and encourage others.
Not just contained in the city, events can also be found all over Victoria with local councils and community groups running hundreds of other fabulous events.
2023 Country Tour
Country councils are running picnics, Come-and-try fiestas, concerts, talks and information sessions. Contact your local council to find out what events are happening in your area.