There are only a few events that are celebrated worldwide, with New Year’s being celebrated in every corner of the earth. Whether it’s the fireworks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge or the Ball Drop at Times Square, New Year’s Eve is always celebrated in extravagant style.
In Melbourne, the celebrations are just as big with hundreds of thousands of people coming together to celebrate the coming of the New Year; with live entertainment, great music and a massive city-wide fireworks display.
New Years Eve Melbourne – 2020/2021 Events & Fireworks, Docklands Cruise
In 2020, the main locations to enjoy New Year’s Eve in Melbourne included the following:
- Yarra Park – Next to the MCG. Free music & entertainment from 6pm-10pm. Fireworks at 9.30pm
- Footscray Park – Maribyrnong. Free music entertainment from 6.30pm-10.30pm. Fireworks at 9.30pm. Free parking at Victoria University and the Flemington Racecourse
- Docklands – Alight at Southern Cross Station. DJ music from 9pm – 1am. Fireworks at midnight.
- Treasury Gardens – Alight at Parliament Station. DJ music from 9pm – 1am. Fireworks at midnight.
- Kings Domain – Alight at Flinders Street Station. DJ music from 9pm – 1am. Fireworks at midnight.
- Flagstaff Gardens – Alight at Flagstaff Station. DJ music from 9pm – 1am. Fireworks at midnight.
These events are free, however, there are also a number of paid events and parties that can be enjoyed as well as cruises along the Yarra River or Docklands. These paid events need to be booked at least 2 weeks in advance and do sell out.
Those attending the city for the fireworks display, or for other celebrations, should note that Metropolitan trains, trams, buses and regional town buses will be free from 6pm on New Year’s Eve until the first scheduled service on New Year’s Day. Extra train services will operate to assist passengers to get out of the city. Check the Saturday train timetables in advance to plan your trip home.